Tuesday, February 5, 2008

how I got connected to disability issues


I first wish to thank TJ Sullivan, Clinton Thomas, George & Vicky Oster, and Barbi & Reggie Greenlaw for sponsoring my Push America fund. My fundraising total has come to $870. I've still got more work to do, but I'm making progress. A few people told me that they anticipated making a contribution in the future - the fundraising link is at the bottom of this note. My next step will be to solicit businesses and other private sponsorships.

A lot of folks ask me how I got involved with the disability community so let me tell you how it all started.

In the spring of 2004, I participated in a Push Camp through Push America. It was an alternative spring break at Wonderland Camp, a special needs summer camp at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I helped to finish the infirmary and construct a storage shed.

The following summer I applied to be on staff at Wonderland Camp. I was offered the position of Nature Activities Director, or Nature Boy. It was a wonderful experience - I enjoyed the campers and staff. I reapplied the summer prior to returning to school to get my MA and was offered the Music Director position and had another wonderful summer.

The research project for my masters program is looking at the university community's perceptions of students with disabilities and ADA accommodations. I began this project last semester and will complete the project over the next two months. I look forward to presenting the results of my research.

This summer, I will participate in my first Push America summer journey event. I hope to continue my involvement with the disability community in the future. As always, I appreciate your support!

No comments: