Monday, July 7, 2008

on to New Mexico

So, we left sunny Arizona today. It really wasn't as hot as I expected. A few days were hot for the riders, but they drank lots of water and made it through. That's a picture from the lake house that we got to stay at in Parker, Arizona. It's likely the closest thing we'll have to a day with nothing to do

I can't explain how relaxing Tempe was for me. I got to get away from everything and just hang out with people that I wasn't going to live with for another 40+ days. My one regret is that I spent too much of my potential pool and relaxing time nerding out on the internet. We get it so infrequently - I'm going to start considering that a gift and only update this and read my e-mail. Collegehumor.com can wait until the end of the summer - it'll still be there. Still, I gotta please my readers. I can't necessarily blame myself, though. We arrived at the Arizona State campus and all the riders immediately flocked to the guest internet kiosks. I still recall sending my first e-mail in 8th grade...to my mom, no less.

I had a rather sobering moment today when I went ahead purchased my flight to Oklahoma from Charlotte after crew wrap-up. I was happy to have a $150 travel voucher that I received on the way to crew training in exchange for taking a flight one hour later. My Journey of Hope summer will be over at 11:30 am on Wednesday, August 20, 2008. 44 days away. This put an end to the experience and a beginning of the reality that will be the next 3-4 years of my life. I can't necessarily complain, though. Teaching and studying in the Sooner Nation is just about everything I wanted when I decided to return to graduate school in December 2005.

Now, we're moving on to New Mexico. It was actually a little cold this morning when we woke up. It's supposed to be even cooler as we head east through the southern Rocky Mountains. I'm sure it will warm up again as we head into the dirty south - Alabama, Mississippi. This'll mark our fourth state. Arizona was nice - hopefully New Mexico won't revert to a Nevada-like experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erich-
I'm a PI Alpha from BE as well. Did the North trip in 1994. Glad to see that we're still adding to the experience. Enjoy your summer of a life time.

James Lawson
BE 455
jelmutiger@yahoo.com